Orange Sesame Noodles
This simple dish of Asian noodles (contributed by Allyson Kramer of Manifest Vegan — a great site featuring lots of gluten-free vegan recipes) ia a nice accompaniment to a larger dinner, or alone as a light lunch. Try them with a gingery tofu dish and a cucumber salad. Allyson is the author of the forthcoming Great Gluten-Free Vegan Eats*. Photo by Allyson Kramer.
Makes: About 8 servings as a side dish; 4 as a main dish
Marinade for carrots:
- 1 teaspoon gluten free tamari or soy sauce (I used light)
- Zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 teaspoons brown rice syrup or agave
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 medium carrots, julienned
- 6.5 ounces very thin rice noodles (rice sticks/ rice vermicelli;
or substitute bean thread noodles)
Sauce for noodles:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons gluten free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup or agave
- 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons black roasted sesame seeds
In a small bowl combine tamari, orange zest, orange juice, grated ginger, brown rice syrup, cloves, sesame oil, and rice vinegar. Stir until well mixed.
Combine with with julienned carrots in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until just a small amount of liquid remains.
In the meantime, cook noodles as directed on package; then drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in carrots and remaining liquid with rice noodles.
In a small bowl, mix together tamari, sesame oil, brown rice syrup, rice vinegar, and water. Toss with cooked noodles until thoroughly coated. Add more tamari, and/or any of the other flavorings such as agave, to your liking.
Toss in the black sesame seeds until evenly distributed. Serve hot or cold.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
One Response to “Orange Sesame Noodles”
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *