Asian Noodles with Spicy Stir-Fried Corn and Cabbage
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces soba or udon noodles (or substitute linguine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced shredded cabbage
(use pre-shredded coleslaw cabbage as a shortcut)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or water
- 2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (scraped from 3 medium ears),
or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 or 2 small fresh hot chili peppers, seeded and minced,
or dried red pepper flakes to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, or more to taste, optional
- Soy sauce or tamari to taste
Cook the noodles in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Heat the oil in a stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the cabbage and garlic and wine. Cover and cook until the cabbage is just slightly limp, about 5 minutes.
Add the corn, bell pepper, and chile and stir-fry over medium-high heat until everything is tender-crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Combine the cooked noodles, cabbage-and-corn mixture, and the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl and toss well. If a bit more moistness is needed, add a small amount of water, then toss again. Serve at once.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s recipes for Cabbages and Lettuces – Beyond Salads!
- Explore more recipes using Asian noodles.