Though this uses only a half-pound of pasta, it’s so chockfull of vegetables that it makes quite a heaping helping. Serve with a salad of fresh greens with chickpeas for a complete and hearty meal.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 1/2 pound long pasta such as vermicelli or
inguine, or short pasta such as rotini or penne
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups slender asparagus, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 medium-small yellow summer squash, diced
- 1 14- to 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 teaspoon fresh
- Sliced fresh basil as desired (use lots!)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan Parmesan cheese, optional
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in an extra-large skillet or steep-sided stir-fry pan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until it is translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the wine and broccoli and cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Then, stir in the remaining vegetables and dried herbs. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender-crisp.
When the vermicelli is done, drain it and combine with the vegetables mixture in a large serving bowl. Stir in the parsley and basil, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at once. If desired, pass around some Parmesan cheese for topping each serving.
- Here are more hearty vegan pasta recipes.
- Find more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and Pasta Entrées.