Southwestern Pasta Salad with Avocado and Peppers
This pasta salad, featuring peppers, avocado, and corn, has a delectable southwestern spin.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 ounces rotini, cavatappi, or other short, twisty pasta shape
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into narrow 2-inch strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut to match the green pepper
- 11/2 cups cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 large avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook the pasta in plenty of simmering water until al dente. Drain and rinse under cool water, then drain well again.
Meanwhile, combine the bell peppers and corn in a large serving bowl. Toss the avocado with the lime juice. Combine the pasta and avocado in a large serving bowl along with the remaining ingredients. Toss gently but thoroughly and serve.
Variation: For a heartier salad, add 1 1/2 to 2 cups cooked or canned pinto or kidney beans.
Here are more: