Sautéed Carrots with Almonds
This simple side dish brings color and natural sweetness to the dinner plate, and is one of my favorite dishes to serve with a Passover or Jewish New Year dinner.
Serves: 8 to 10
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, other healthy vegetable oil, or fragrant nut oil
- 1/4 cup apple juice or other fruit juice, or more as needed
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat the oil and apple juice in a large skillet. Add the carrots and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until tender-crisp and beginning to turn golden, about 10 to 15 minutes. If the skillet begins to turn dry, sprinkle in additional apple juice while cooking.
Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the carrots are just tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients, then transfer to a serving container. Serve at once.