Salad is a lot more fun when it becomes a taco salad. Incorporating all the lively flavors of tacos, this tasty salad is quick and easy to prepare, and is a great choice when you’d like a hearty main-dish salad. If you’re short on time, use some of the shortcut suggested. Have it on its own for lunch; complete the meal with baked sweet potatoes, vegan quesadillas, and/or corn-on-the-cob for dinner.
Serves: 2 to 3 (doubles easily)
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (great with Daiya!)
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or black beans, drained and rinsed
- Mixed baby greens or dark green lettuce, torn, as needed
- Toasted pumpkin seeds (pepitas), as desired
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, as desired, optional
Dressing (or see Note for shortcut):
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce or good-quality ketchup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine the salad ingredients in a serving
bowl. Use greens or lettuce as needed, according to the number of servings desired.
Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir together until well blend- ed. Pour over the salad, toss well, and distribute to individual serving bowls. Crumble tortilla chips over the top of each portion and enjoy!
Notes: For a shortcut, use your favorite French or tomato-based salad dressing.
Per serving (not with dressing): 517 calories; 27.5g fat; 876mg sodium; 950.8mg potassium; 55.4g carbs; 17.5g fiber; 4.1g sugar; 15.3g protein
Dressing (per batch): 146.5 calories; 13.9g fat; 851mg sodium; 221.8mg potassium; 6.8g carbs; 1.3g fiber; 2.7g sugar; 0.9g protein