Raw Chocolate Mousse
No one will know that avocado replaces butter, cream, and eggs in this silky treat. Create an easy and elegant parfait by layering it with Vanilla Crème Sauce. Recipe contributed by Jennifer Cornbleet, from Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People, revised edition. © 2012, Book Publishing Company. Photo by Warren Jefferson.
Yield: 1 cup, 3 servings
- 1/4 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked in water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup mashed avocados (1 1/2 avocados)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or carob powder
- 1/4 cup water
Put the dates, maple syrup, and optional vanilla extract in a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until smooth.
Add the avocados and cocoa powder and process until creamy, stopping occasionally to scrape down the work bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the water and process briefly.
Stored in a sealed container, Chocolate Mousse will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator or 2 weeks in the freezer. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Note: To make a double batch, increase the amounts to 1/2 cup of pitted medjool dates, soaked, 1/2 cup of maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups of mashed avocados (3 avocados), 3/4 cup of cocoa or carob powder, and 1/2 cup of water. Yield: 2 cups, 4 servings.
Jennifer Cornbleet is a nationally recognized raw-food chef and instructor and a long-time faculty member at Living Light Culinary Institute in California. She lectures and holds classes in the San Francisco Bay area and internationally. For more information about Jennifer, visit learnrawfood.com.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s No-Bake and Raw Sweets.
- Sweet tooth still craving? Here are more Vegan Baking and Sweets.