Baba Ghanouj (Middle Eastern Roasted Eggplant and Tahini Dip)
Serves: 8 to 10
- 2 medium eggplants, about 2 pounds total
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste), or more, to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 450º F.
Arrange the whole eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet. Set under the broiler until the skin is charred and the eggplants have collapsed, turning the eggplants with tongs once or twice. This will take from about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how hot your oven runs and the size of the eggplants. Remove and let cool. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and stems.
Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden brown.
Combine the eggplant, the onion and garlic mixture, and the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is a slightly chunky puree. Transfer to a serving container and serve at room temperature.