Finely diced cucumbers, tomatoes, and bell peppers are central to this Israeli salad; other vegetables are sometimes added as well. For a homemade Middle Eastern feast, serve this with Hummus and Baked Falafel with Smoky Tahini Dressing. It's a nice light dish to serve on the side of Vegan Latkes at Hanukkah; and I also really like this with Tofu and Potato Hash Browns.
- 1 large cucumber peeled, seeded and cut into small dice
- 3 medium tomatoes preferably on vine, heirloom, or other flavorful variety, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 medium red bell peppers cut into small dice
- ¼ cup finely diced onion or 2 to 3 scallions minced
- ½ cup finely diced radish optional
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or as desired
- Juice of ½ to 1 lemon to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine all the vegetables in a salad bowl. Toss together.
- Use enough olive oil to moisten the vegetables, and add lemon juice to taste. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss again.
Per serving: Calories: 43; Total fat: 1g; Protein: 1g; Carbs: 5g; Sodium: 7mg