Baba Ghanouj is—like hummus—a classic Middle Eastern spread meant to be scooped up on wedges of pita bread. It’s also good as a dip for raw veggies. This recipe is a must-try for eggplant lovers!
Baba Ghanouj (Middle Eastern Eggplant and Tahini Dip)
An eggplant lover's delight, baba ghanouj is a classic Middle Eastern spread meant to be scooped up on wedges of pita bread. It's also good as a dip for raw veggies.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 8 to 10
- 2 medium eggplants about 2 lbs total
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 –4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp tahini sesame paste, or more, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon or more to taste
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Arrange the whole eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet. Set under the broiler until the skin is charred and the eggplants have collapsed, turning the eggplants with tongs once or twice. This will take from about 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how hot your oven runs and the size of the eggplants.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cool enough to handle, slip off the skins and stems.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is golden brown.
- Combine the eggplant, the onion and garlic mixture, and the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Process until the mixture is a slightly chunky puree. Transfer to a serving container and serve at room temperature.
Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 5mg | Potassium: 315mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 32IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Explore more eggplant recipes on VegKitchen.
- Here are more tasty vegan appetizers.
This recipe was originally published on 19 June 2013.
Leave a Reply