Wild Rice and Mushroom Pilaf
Earthy flavored, gluten-free wild rice combines beautifully with aromatic vegetables and garlic for a pilaf that can also be served stuffed into a winter squash. Feel free to choose between delicious organic red palm oil or organic extra virgin olive oil. If you’ve got some small baked squashes, such as acorn, this makes a lovely stuffing. Recipe contributed by Leslie Cerier. Photos by Tracey Eller.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or see Note)
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ½ cups wild rice
- 1 cup leeks, coarsely chopped, (white and tender green parts)
- ⅔ cups celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups boiling water
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, wild rice, leeks, celery and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables take on a brighter hue.
- Lower the heat and slowly pour in the water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed. Serve at once.
Note: Leslie developed this recipe for Nutiva, and recommends using Nutiva Organic Red Palm Oil for a change of pace from olive oil.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.