This simple summer dish of pasta with tomatoes and basil will get you out of the kitchen quickly. Make sure to use summer tomatoes at the peak of their flavor, as that’s what this dish is all about! This is a good accompaniment to grilled vegetables; it’s also good with a colorful bean salad. Try it with Mediterranean Bean Salad with Pickled Beets.
- 8 ounces pasta, your favorite shape, preferably whole-grain
- 2 to 2 1/2 pounds ripe, juicy tomatoes
(try a mixture of 2 or 3 varieties)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, or more, to taste
- 1 to 2 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced black or green olives, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste, optional
Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente, then drain.
Meanwhile, cut larger tomatoes into small dice; halve or quarter cherry or grape tomatoes.
In a serving bowl, combine the hot pasta with the tomato mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.