The best of two popular New Orleans culinary icons join forces to create the ultimate sandwich in these po’boys made with artichokes and a piquant olive relish. Recipe from Cook the Pantry: Vegan Pantry-to-Plate Recipes in 20 Minutes (or Less!) © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photos by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.
Artichoke Muffaleta Po’ Boys
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- ⅓ cup pickled vegetables well-drained
- ⅓ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives well-drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, well-drained and halved
- ½ teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 small sub rolls
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- Pickled sliced jalapeños
- Tabasco or other hot sauce to serve
- In a food processor, combine the scallion and garlic and process until finely minced. Add the pickled vegetables, olives, and pulse to make a relish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts, season with the spice blend, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise and mustard on the inside top and bottom of the bread.
- Spread the lettuce onto the bottom of each sandwich, followed by tomato slices.
- Top with the relish mixture, a few slices of jalapeños, and the artichokes. Serve at once with Tabasco.
- Enjoy more of our vegan sandwiches and wraps.