Brown rice is fine for a quick dinner, but the lovely color of black rice will make this dish extra special. Tempeh or baked tofu and peanuts add plenty of protein, and using a frozen Asian vegetable blend makes this super-quick as a weeknight meal. Recipe from The Oldways 4-Week Vegetarian & Vegan Diet Menu Plan, © 2014. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Asian Peanut Stir-Fry with Black Rice
- 1 tablespoon peanut or other high-heat vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16- ounce package frozen Asian vegetable blend thawed
- 8- ounce package tempeh or baked tofu cubed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste or sriracha sauce more or less to taste
- 1/3 cup peanuts chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups cooked black forbidden or Japonica rice cooked according to package instructions
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add the vegetable blend, tempeh, and ginger and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender but still crisp.
- Stir in the soy sauce, curry paste, and peanuts and heat through.
- Stir in the rice and serve hot.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.