I think about this recipe all winter, as I look forward to spring. It only takes ten minutes to prepare. Recipe by Devra Gartenstein, from Local Bounty: Seasonal Vegan Recipes, by permission of The Book Publishing Company.
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (preferably grainy)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring 1 quart water to a boil in a medium saucepan and blanch the asparagus for about 15 seconds. Drain and run it under cold water for 1 minute.
To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook on low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice, optional dill, mustard, salt, and pepper to taste, and mix well.
Toss the asparagus with the sauce and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Click here for more asparagus recipes.