Here’s a vitamin-packed salad featuring oranges, avocado, and watercress, perfect for winter and early spring. It goes with just about anything else you’re serving and can be made in minutes. Photos by Rachael Braun.
- 3 small, sweet seedless oranges (see Note after recipe box), peeled and sectioned
- 1 medium firm, ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup diced jicama, daikon radish, or turnip
- 1 cup loosely packed watercress leaves
- 1 cup or so shredded red cabbage or radicchio
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil (or use tahini that's nice and fluid)
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- Toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds, optional
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a serving bowl and toss together. Serve at once.
Note: Use any small sweet orange that are seedless or don’t have a lot of seeds, like clementines, mineolas, mandarins, etc. In pinch, use a 12-ounce can of mandarin oranges, drained.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.