In this Southwestern-style rice casserole, vegan cheese, green chiles, and cilantro give a delectable flavor to an otherwise simple dish. This is delicious served with Beer-Stewed Pinto Beans and a big green salad. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 6 or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (from about 1 ½ cups raw)
- 8 ounces grated cheddar-style nondairy cheese
- 1 cup vegan sour cream (homemade or store-bought) or Cashew Cream
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced,
or one to two 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chilies
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the onion and sauté over low heat until lightly browned.
In a mixing bowl, combine the onion with the rice and all the remaining ingredients. Stir together thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled, 1 ½-quart baking casserole. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes or so, then scoop individual portions out of the casserole to serve.
- Here are more of VegKitchen’s Vegan Dinner Recipes and
more Main Dishes Featuring Grains and/or Beans.
- For lots more Southwestern-style recipes, go to A Southwestern Supper.
This was absolutely amazing. My kids loved it and so did I!
Thank you Samara! I haven't made this for quite some time ... a reminder to revisit this easy recipe. Glad you and yours enjoyed it!
Excellent and easy!! I made it with the Beer stewed pinto beans that were suggested. That was also easy and delicious. Great for a cold winter's night meal. First recipes I made from your site. I can't wait to try more.
Thank you for giving us delicious recipes!
Thanks, Lisa -- glad you enjoyed this combo. Please come back for more!