Colorful vegetables blend well with barley. This comforting soup will warm you from head to toe during the fall and winter.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons red curry paste
- ½ cup pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- In a large saucepan, heat half of the oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add garlic, ginger, and curry paste; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add barley, salt, pepper, and broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Add lime juice and mix. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes, then serve.
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.