Cool romaine lettuce and barbecue-flavored chickpeas (or explore the other plant protein variations following the recipe) combine to create a great flavor and texture combination in this hearty pita sandwich. This pairs well with many simple companions — potatoes or sweet potatoes, fresh corn, a simple quinoa salad, or a light soup. This recipe makes enough to generously fill 4 good-sized pita halves. Adapted from Plant Power: Transform Your Kitchen, Plate, and Life with More Than 150 Fresh and Flavorful Vegan Recipes by Nava Atlas. ©2014, published by HarperOne, reprinted by permission. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into short narrow strips
- ⅔ cup Quick Vegan Barbecue Sauce (or used your favorite natural bottled brand)
- 15- to 16-ounce can (drained and rinsed) chickpeas
- Two large fresh pita breads, preferably whole grain
- Finely shredded romaine lettuce, as needed
- Fresh green sprouts, optional (like broccoli sprouts or pea shoots)
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ medium avocado, peeled and thinly sliced, optional
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the bell pepper and barbecue sauce, then stir in the chickpeas. Cook over medium heat until the sauce is reduced and envelopes the chickpeas and veggies nicely, about 8 minutes.
- Distribute 1 to 2 pita halves to each plate, depending on appetites and what else is being served. Fill each pita half with some lettuce, sprouts, tomatoes, and optional avocado, followed by the chickpea mixture. Serve at once.
Per pita half: Calories: 258; Total fat: 5g; Protein: 10g; Carbs: 47g; Fiber: 9g; Sodium: 280mg
- Here are more of our tasty vegan sandwiches and wraps.