Look for canned water-packed jackfruit in Asian markets or well-stocked supermarkets (be sure not to get the kind packed in syrup). If jackfruit is unavailable, substitute your choice of chopped seitan, steamed crumbled tempeh, chopped mushrooms, or reconstituted TVP or Soy Curls. From Cook the Pantry: Vegan Pantry-to-Plate Recipes in 20 Minutes or Less.* Recipe ©2015 by Robin Robertson; photo by Annie Oliverio. Reprinted by permission of Vegan Heritage Press LLC.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16-ounce can water-packed jackfruit, drained and shredded or thinly sliced
- 4-ounce can chopped mild or hot green chiles, drained
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 4 sandwich rolls, split and toasted
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and chiles and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the barbecue sauce, tamari, mustard, paprika, liquid smoke, onion powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, to heat through and blend the flavors, about 8 minutes. Add a little water if the mixture gets dry.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. When ready to serve, spoon the mixture onto the rolls and serve hot.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!