This warm and comforting Callaloo-Style Vegetable Soup is perfect for any day. It's delicious on its own or served with rice.
This luscious soup pairs colorful vegetables with a spicy coconut broth. To make it more substantial, add the optional kidney beans. Some cooked rice added to the bottom of each bowl is another good addition for turning it into a one-dish meal.
You can serve this soup over rice, as recommended, or you can serve it with flatbread, rolls, or a nice side salad.
How to Make Callaloo-Style Vegetable Soup
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Add most veggies, cover, and cook.
- Add tomatoes, broth, thyme, and allspice. Boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until veggies are tender.
- Stir in coconut milk and greens, then season.
- Cook until greens are wilted.
- Stir in kidney beans and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle soup over bowls of rice to serve.
Full directions for how to make Callaloo-Style Vegetable Soup are in the printable recipe card below.
Callaloo-Style Vegetable Soup FAQs
How long will this soup last?
You can store this soup in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Alternatively, you can store this soup in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I swap out the veggies in this soup?
You can easily swap out the veggies in this soup. Use pretty much whatever you have on hand. Just make sure to chop up each vegetable, and make sure to cook the veggies for the right amounts of time.
For more delicious stews from around the world, see Global Stews.
Callaloo-Style Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 hot chile seeded and minced
- 1 ½ cups fresh tomatoes or 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes; diced or drained
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp fresh thyme or dried; minced, to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground allspice
- 13.5 oz unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 bunch spinach coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard coarsely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups cooked dark red kidney beans or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed; optional
- cooked brown rice optional
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper, and chile. Cover and cook until softened, 10 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, thyme, and allspice, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and greens and season to taste with salt and pepper. (The amount of salt you need will depend on the saltiness of your broth.)
- Continue to cook until the greens are wilted, pushing them down to cover with the broth, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the kidney beans, if using. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- To serve, ladle into soup bowls over a large spoonful of cooked rice, if using.
This recipe is from Vegan Fire & Spice* by Robin Robertson © 2008, Vegan Heritage Press. Photo by Evan Atlas.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!