This sweet side dish of spiced carrots and apples brightens the Passover dinner plate. Baked until crusty, it’s also yummy enough to be an everyday dessert with a dollop of coconut yogurt. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Passover Carrot-Apple Pudding
- 1/3 cup quinoa flakes
- 5 large carrots grated
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, and grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sweet Passover wine or substitute pomegranate juice, or similar no-sugar dark red juice
- 1/4 cup natural granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the quinoa flakes with 2/3 cup boiling water in a heatproof bowl. Let stand while the other ingredients are being prepared.
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Pour in the quinoa flakes and mix well.
- Pour into an oiled 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake another 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned and crusty.
- Let cool. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.