This Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burger recipe is perfect for those times when you want to try stray from the traditional recipes you're used to. For a quick meal, you can prepare the patties in advance and warm them up when you need them.
Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burger
- 1 cup sweet potato meat about a medium sweet potato, cooked and peeled
- 1 can 540 ml chickpeas, drained and well rinsed
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce homemade or commercial
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chili seasoning
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- vegan mayonnaise
- 5 hamburger buns
- Cook your sweet potato in the oven at 400°F for 20 minutes. Once the sweet potato has been cooked and peeled, let it cool a little.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sweet potato flesh, chickpeas, barbecue sauce, salt, chili seasoning, and bread crumbs in a food processor. Mix until a homogeneous paste forms. You will probably need to scrape the side with a rubber spatula several times during the process.
- When the preparation is homogeneous, separate into five equal parts and form patties with your hands. Freeze patties for at least 15 minutes to allow the mixture to firm up.
- Place the patties on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes. Then let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise, pickles) and toast your hamburger buns.
- Assemble the burgers by brushing the inside of each bun with mayonnaise, then stacking a cooked patty, lettuce leaf, pickles, and a tomato slice.