This easy chickpea salad, filled with flavorful tomatoes and aromatic basil, makes a good lunch on its own with whole grain bread and fresh fruit. It’s a great companion to many Italian-style pasta dishes or simple grain dishes during the cooler months, especially if the meal needs a protein boost. It’s also good with pasta salads or potato salads as part of a summer meal, served with a cold soup or fresh corn. It’s especially good with ripe summer tomatoes, though off season you can use tomatoes on vine or hydroponic tomatoes.
- 15- to 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 medium firm, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 10- to 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- Sliced fresh basil leaves, as much as you'd like
- Juice of ½ lemon or more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mixed baby greens or baby arugula (or a combination), optional
- ½ cup black olives, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except the optional greens in a mixing bowl and toss well. Serve on its own, or over greens, if you'd like.
Variation: If you like cooking on an outdoor grill, you can use a couple of large fresh red bell peppers, cut into large pieces, grill until nicely browned, and use instead of the jarred peppers. Yum!
Per serving: Calories: 201; Total Fat: 4g; Protein: 8g; Carbs: 31g; Sodium: 21mg