These nutty, saucy chilled gluten-free noodles are irresistibly enticing. And because they’re served cold, they make a lovely and convenient addition to a buffet or party meal as an appetizer or main dish. Recipe and photos from Gluten-Free Tips and Tricks for Vegans by Jo Stepaniak ©2016. Reprinted by permission of The Book Publishing Company.
Chilled Noodles in a Spicy Sauce (Gluten-Free)
These nutty, saucy chilled noodles are irresistibly enticing. And because they’re served cold, they make a lovely and convenient addition to a buffet or party meal as an appetizer or main dish.Print Pin Rate Email
- ½ cup tahini or almond butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted hot sesame oil chili oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup optional
- ½ teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- Water as needed Gluten-free hot sauce
- Sea salt
- 12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti or substitute soba noodles
Veggies (choose 3)
- Carrots grated
- English cucumber thinly sliced
- Jalapeño chile seeded and minced
- Red yellow, orange, or green bell peppers, cut into matchsticks
- Red or green cabbage grated or very thinly sliced
- Red radishes thinly sliced
- Water chestnuts or jicama sliced or diced
- Green onions thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Raw or toasted sesame seeds pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or slivered almonds
- Put the tahini, vinegar, oil, lemon juice, ginger, optional maple syrup, and garlic in a large bowl. Stir vigorously until smooth and well combined.
- Gradually whisk in enough water to make a pourable sauce, about 1 cup, beating vigorously until completely smooth. Season with hot sauce and salt to taste.
- Cook the spaghetti in boiling water according to the package directions. Drain in a colander. Rinse well under cold water, then drain again.
- Add to the bowl with the sauce along with the veggie additions of your choice and toss until the noodles are coated and the ingredients are evenly distributed. Taste and add more hot sauce or salt if desired. Cover tightly and refrigerate until well chilled before serving, at least 2 hours.
- The noodles will absorb any excess sauce and optional toppings as desired.
Calories: 547kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more Asian-style cold noodle dishes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply