Chinese-style vegetable fried rice is an easy and tasty side dish to serve with Asian-style vegetable and tofu dishes. It’s a great way to use up leftover brown rice, too. On the rare occasions when my family gets Chinese take-out, there’s always a lot of leftover rice, and this is usually the way it gets repurposed!
Chinese-Style Vegetable Stir-Fried Rice
Chinese-style stir-fried rice, filled with lots of veggies, is an easy and tasty side dish to serve with Asian-style vegetable and tofu dishes.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon safflower or other neutral vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 small onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small bell pepper any color, cut into short narrow strips
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 scallions white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels or one 15-ounce can cut baby corn, drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas or green beans thawed
- 2 tablespoons natural reduced-sodium soy sauce or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- Heat the oils in a stir-fry pan or large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the carrots and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
- Add rice, scallions, corn or baby corn, peas or green beans. Drizzle in the soy sauce. Stir-fry over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is touched with golden spots.
- Season with freshly ground pepper, and additional soy sauce if need be.
- Serve at once, garnishing each serving with sesame seeds, and if desired, some cilantro.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 388mg | Potassium: 423mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1297IU | Vitamin C: 57mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Variation: Substitute 1 cup cooked edamame for the green peas or green beans.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.
Leave a Reply