Here’s a cool and casual sandwich that really satisfies. Pinto or pink beans are amply flavored with bell pepper, olives, and scallion. Made in minutes for a quick lunch or dinner, an excellent fresh bread is a must. Serve with fruit for lunch; and a simple potato salad or slaw for dinner. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Serves: 4 to 6
- 15- to 16-ounce can pinto or pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 medium green or red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise, or more, as desired
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced tomatoes
- Fresh whole-grain wheat, rye, or sourdough bread
- Sprouts or shredded lettuce
In a shallow bowl, mash the beans with the tines of a fork or a potato masher.
Finely chop the bell pepper, olives, and scallions. Combine them with the beans and stir in the mayo, lemon juice, cumin, and pepper.
Let everyone assemble their own sandwiches as follows: Layer tomatoes on slices of bread, then dollop a generous amount of the bean mixture over them (you can do those steps in reverse order as well — bean spread first, then tomatoes). Top with a handful of sprouts or lettuce, then cover with another piece of bread, or serve open face.
- Here are lots more recipes for vegan sandwiches and wraps.