Minestrone soup is an Italian cuisine classic. Here is our recipe for this classic Italian vegetable soup with beans and pasta!
- 3/8 cup dried white beans
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup broken fettuccini pasta
- salt and pepper
- Soak the white beans overnight in a bowl with just enough cold water to cover them.
- The next day, drain the water from the beans and rinse well. Cook in boiling water for 45 to 60 minutes. Reserve.
- In large saucepan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Add carrots and celery. Season and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, and thyme sprigs. Season. Put a lid on the pan and cook the soup over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. It’s important that the minestrone soup simmer gently.
- After 2 hours of cooking, add cooked beans and pasta and continue cooking for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Serve with a crusty piece of bread.