Minestrone soup is an Italian cuisine classic. Here is our recipe for this classic Italian vegetable soup with beans and pasta!
Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
Minestrone soup is an Italian cuisine classic. Here is our recipe for this classic Italian vegetable soup with beans and pasta!Print Pin Rate Email
- ⅜ cup dried white beans
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onions peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup broken fettuccini pasta
- salt and pepper
- Soak the white beans overnight in a bowl with just enough cold water to cover them.
- The next day, drain the water from the beans and rinse well. Cook in boiling water for 45 to 60 minutes. Reserve.
- In large saucepan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Add carrots and celery. Season and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stir. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, crushed tomatoes, and thyme sprigs. Season. Put a lid on the pan and cook the soup over low heat for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally. It’s important that the minestrone soup simmer gently.
- After 2 hours of cooking, add cooked beans and pasta and continue cooking for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Serve with a crusty piece of bread.
Calories: 274kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 516mg | Potassium: 606mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3246IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 2mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.