Prepare yourself for a treat for the palate and senses. Coconut rice seasoned with ginger, decorated with almonds, and sweetened with anti-oxidant rich dried and whole cranberries. Recipe contributed by Leslie Cerier. Photos by Tracey Eller.
Coconut Rice Pilaf with Fresh and Dried Cranberries
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin organic coconut oil see Note
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger more or less to taste
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice or see note
- 3 tablespoons almonds
- Pinch of fine sea salt or to taste
- 15- ounce can light coconut milk
- ½ cup whole fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup boiling water
- Chopped fresh mint for garnish
- Melt the coconut oil in a 9 inch heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the ginger and sauté for 1 minute to flavor the oil.
- Add rice, almonds, and salt and sauté for 2 to 4 minutes to infuse the rice with the ginger coconut oil.
- Add the coconut milk and fresh and dried cranberries. Lower the heat and slowly pour in the water.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed. Garnish with chopped mint and serve straight from the skillet.
Use any long-grain variety, or go a bit exotic with brown jasmine, basmati, or other specialty rice)
Leslie developed this recipe for Nutiva and recommends Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and in place of coconut milk, you can try ½ cup Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna plus 3 cups water.
- For more ways to use brown rice, explore Classic Rice Dishes.