Cold soups are one of my favorite ways to feel refreshed in the summer heat. What makes any cold soup even better for me is if it needs no cooking at all, like this one featuring ripe avocados and green peas. And it adds gorgeous burst of green to the table, as well. Recipe adapted from Vegan Holiday Kitchen. Photos by Susan Voisin.
- 3 ripe avocados (two can be very ripe, one needs to be firm enough to dice)
- One 16-ounce bag plus 1 cup frozen peas, completely thawed
- 2 scallions, green parts only, minced
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill leaves, optional
- Juice of ½ to 1 lime or lemon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
- 3 cups plain unsweetened nondairy milk of your choice, or as needed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Uncooked or lightly cooked fresh corn kernels
- Short, narrow strips of corn tortillas, pan-toasted until crisp
- Peel and pit the two riper avocados; cut them into large chunks, and place in a food processor or blender.
- Add the 16-ounce bag of peas to the food processor or blender (setting aside the additional cup of peas), followed by the scallions, parsley, optional dill, lime juice, curry, and 1½ cups of the rice milk. Process until velvety smooth. Transfer to a soup tureen or similar serving container
- Peel and finely dice the remaining avocado and add it to the soup along with the remaining peas. Add enough additional rice milk to give the soup a slightly thick consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. If time allows, cover and allow the soup to chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
- To serve, ladle a portion of soup into bowls and garnish with corn and/or tortilla strips.
Per serving (without garnishes): 201 calories; 11g fat; 103 mg sodium; 24 g carbs; 7.1g fiber; 3.5g sugar; 4.6g protein
- Get refreshed with more Cold Summer Soups.