Here’s a nearly-instant cold cucumber soup with plenty of fresh herbs. Cucumbers are undoubtedly one of the most refreshing of veggies. So on a very hot day, if you want to be as cool as one, serve this lilting chilled soup. Note that coconut yogurt has a naturally sweet taste, so you'll want to judiciously add the lemon or lime juice and salt as a foil. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 2 cups plain rice milk or other unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more if needed
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons good-quality curry powder, or to taste
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
(or use 1 large English cucumber)
- ¼ cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley, or more, to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill, or more, to taste
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime (3 to 4 tablespoons, or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Combine 2 cups of rice milk with all the ingredients in a serving container.
Cover and refrigerate for about an hour before serving to allow the flavors to blend.
Just before serving, add a little more nondairy milk if soup is too dense, and adjust the seasoning with a little more lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Explore other cold summer soups.