Here’s a great way to take advantage of late summer’s sublime tomatoes. This is great for when your garden or CSA share is overflowing with ripe tomatoes and you really need to use them up quick!
- 3 pounds very ripe, flavorful tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup tomato juice, or as needed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 to 2 scallions, minced, optional
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Thinly sliced basil leaves for garnish
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and process to a chunky puree.
Transfer to a serving container and serve at once, or cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving.
Top each serving with some sliced basil leaves.