Substantial yet refreshing, this cool soup can be made in minutes. Choose a crisp, flavorful cucumber with pale green (rather than watery white) flesh for optimal flavor. Leave the peel on for extra fiber and flavor if the cucumber is organic and unwaxed. Serve with a simple potato or pasta salad or wraps for an easy and tasty summer meal.
- Two 15-to 16-ounce cans cannellini
or Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
(or 4 cups cooked)
- 3 cups plain unsweetened nondairy milk (rice, almond, etc.)
- 1 large cucumber, peeled or not, as desired
- 1 medium red or orange bell pepper, or
4 to 6 radishes, halved and sliced
- ¼ cup minced fresh dill
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon (about ¼ cup), or more, to taste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan Sour Cream for garnish, optional
Combine half of beans with 1 cup of the nondairy milk in a food processor. Process until smoothly pureed, then transfer to a serving container. Stir in the remaining nondairy milk and beans.
Quarter the cucumber lengthwise. Cut away and discard the seeds, then slice thinly and add to the serving container.
Stir in the radishes, dill, scallions, and lemon juice. Taste especially for the lemon juice, you want this soup to have a pleasant lilt of lemon without being overly tart. If the soup is too thick, adjust the consistency with a little more rice milk. Season with salt and pepper. If you’d like, top each serving with a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream.
Per serving (when made with radishes and without optional ingredients): 230 calories; 2g fat; 50mg sodium; 44g carbs; 7g fiber; 11g protein
- Explore other cold summer soups.