These healthy vegan corn muffins makes good use of summer’s fresh corn and the season’s abundance of zucchini. Other times of year, you can use frozen kernels, and of course, zucchini is a year-round veggie. These make a perfect accompaniment to hot or cold soups. Black beans give these a bit of heft, making them a nice change of pace for the lunch box. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Corn Muffins with Black Beans and Zucchini
- 1 cup stoneground whole-grain cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk or as needed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 packed cups grated zucchini about 2 medium
- 3/4 cup cooked or canned drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 cup cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
- 2 scallions or small bunch chives finely chopped
Optional (any or all)
- 1 to 2 small fresh hot chili peppers seeded and minced
- 3/4 cup shredded vegan cheese optional (but highly recommended)
- 1/2 cup chopped black olives
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the first 5 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the oil, nondairy milk, and applesauce. Stir until well combined, adding more nondairy milk as needed to make a smooth, slightly stiff batter. Don't make it too wet; everything just needs to be nicely moistened.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients, including any of the optional ones you’d like to use.
- Divide the batter among 12 lightly oiled, paper, or parchment-lined muffin tins (yes, there are parchment muffin liners — look for them in your supermarket or natural foods store baking section). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one tests clean.
- Cool on a rack, then serve warm. Store completely cooled leftover muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator, or freeze them for future use.
- Find lots more sweet or savory muffins in Muffin Mania.