Here's an easy, nourishing soup of red lentils, made creamy with coconut milk and spiced with plenty of ginger. It's a warming bowlful to come home to on a cold day! Recipe excerpted with permission from Going Wild in the Kitchen,* by Leslie Cerier, © 2005, Square One Publishers, Inc. Photos by Tracey Eller.
Curried Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
Here's an easy, nourishing soup of red lentils, made creamy with coconut milk and spiced with plenty of ginger.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger to taste
- 1 tablespoon seeded and coarsely chopped cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- 3- inch piece dulse or 1 tablespoon dulse flakes optional
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red or yellow onions reserve some for garnish if desired
- 10 cups bite-sized cauliflower florets
- 3 ½ cups coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes or one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 14- ounce can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- ½ cup coarsely chopped cilantro or parsley optional (plus more for garnish if desired)
- Place the lentils, water, cinnamon stick, ginger, cayenne pepper, garlic, and dulse (if using) in a 6-quart stockpot. Bring to a slow boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils melt and become yellow.
- Add the onion, cauliflower, tomatoes, and coconut milk, and continue to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until onions and cauliflower are soft.
- Add the salt, stir in the optional cilantro or parsley, and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and/or some uncooked onion, if desired.
Calories: 336kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 480mg | Potassium: 1239mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1175IU | Vitamin C: 99mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 5mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
- Here are more Soulful Soups.
- Here are more recipes for Lentils and Peas.
Where is the curry in the recipe? Did I miss it?
Any chance you could add the nutrition information for this recipe? Hoping it was just missed from the other cookbook.
Nancy, we’re working on getting all of our recipes analyzed, but in the meantime, you could use one of these free nutrition data calculation tools like my fitness pal: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator