These bites are one of my favorite desserts yet! Consider these my lazy-girl’s take on classic Almond Joys. The base is a naturally-sweetened, and these no-bake vegan coconut cookies are dunked in dark chocolate and topped with a roasted almond and more chocolate. Serve these delectable bites as a simple dessert, or enjoy throughout the week as a relatively guilt-free snack! Recipe from Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking by Dana Schultz © 2016, reprinted by permission of Avery Publishing.
- 3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 20 roasted unsalted almonds or raw almonds*
- 3⁄4 cup vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- Pinch sea salt, for topping
- Add coconut to food processor or high-speed blender. Blend, scraping down sides as needed, until a paste forms. The texture should feel like a dough when squeezed between your fingers. It may be necessary to encourage it along by scraping down the sides as it is blending.
- Add maple syrup and vanilla. Mix again until just incorporated.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out 1-tablespoon amounts and pack with hands to achieve half-moon shapes. Then use a finger to scoop it out of the tablespoon. Reform into a small disc if it loses shape.
- Lay bites down on parchment-lined baking sheet. Continue until all coconut is used—about 20 bites.
- Press one almond gently down into each of the bites, being careful not to create too much of a crack or seam. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler or in microwave in 30-second increments. Then rest one coconut bite on a fork and hold it over the bowl. Use spoon to drizzle chocolate over top. Set back on parchment and continue until all bites are coated. Sprinkle the tops with a bit of sea salt for flavor contrast (optional).
- Pop in refrigerator or freezer to set for 8 to10 minutes. Then pick up and, using a spoon, coat/paint the underside of the bites with the remaining melted chocolate.
- Place back on parchment and repeat until all bites are coated. Pop back in freezer to set for another 10 minutes.
- Peel away from parchment and transfer to serving platter. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Leftovers will keep covered at room temperature for 3 to 4 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Note: If almonds are raw, roast them on a bare baking sheet in a 350º F oven for 8 to10 minutes, or until fragrant and slightly browned.
- Here are more vegan chocolate desserts.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!