Contributed by Carol Smolinski. She says, “I love this quick bread as an accompaniment for any savory soup. It also makes great open-faced sandwiches with vegan mayo and any 2 or 3 of the following: thinly sliced avocado, tomato, cucumber, leafy green lettuce, spinach leaves, kale, roasted veggies, steamed sliced squash.” Vegan cream cheese spread also compliments this bread wonderfully, as does vegan buttery spread. This makes one loaf with about 12 slices. Photos by Evan Atlas.
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Generous pinch of powdered turmeric about 1/8 teaspoon
- 1 cup firm tofu very well drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- 1 generous tablespoon agave nectar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan buttery spread such as Earth Balance (or use olive oil)
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh dill or a bit more, if you love dill!
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Prepare an 8- or 9- by 5-inch bread pan. Spray or coat lightly with oil, then flour the pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all dry ingredients until completely mixed.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, mash the tofu well until it resembles small-curd cottage cheese. Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir together. If you need a bit more to moisten all the dry ingredients, add 1 tablespoon additional nondairy milk at a time, but let the dough remain stiff. Don't overbeat.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared loaf pan, Use a large flat spoon to spread the stiff dough, then flatten lightly once it's all in the pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the top is a lovely golden brown, and a small knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Here are more Vegan Quick Breads and Scones.