If you like mushrooms, you’ll enjoy this simple vegan gravy, which is great over seitan, tofu, brown rice or other cooked grains, veggie burgers, and best of all, mashed or smashed potatoes. In other words, this makes comfort dishes even more comforting. This recipe makes about 2 cups. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
Easy Mushroom Gravy
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 ounces mushrooms any small variety, or a mixture (try combining shiitakes with baby bella, aka cremini), cleaned, stemmed, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast optional but highly recommended
- Combine the broth and soy sauce in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the mushrooms and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until done to your liking.
- Combine the arrowroot cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve in a cup or small container.
- When the broth reaches a steady simmer, slowly whisk in the arrowroot or cornstarch, stirring constantly until the liquid is thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the basil and optional nutritional yeast. Use at once.