Strips of high-protein seitan (cooked wheat gluten) make a great filling for these easy vegan seitan fajitas. What's great about fajitas is that everyone participates in creating his or her own meal. It’s less work for the cook, fun for everyone at the table, and everyone can tailor the ingredients to suit personal tastes. Serve with rice dish, or potatoes or sweet potatoes, or keep it super-simple with salsa and chips. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Easy Seitan Fajitas
- 16 ounces seitan or Homemade Seitan
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons good-quality chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into short narrow strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut to match green pepper
- 12 fajita-size 8-inch flour tortillas
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Store-bought salsa and/or hot picante sauce
- Cut the seitan into narrow strips about 2 inches in length. In a mixing bowl, gently toss with the lime juice, olive oil, and chili powder
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the seitan mixture and bell pepper strips. Turn the heat up to medium high and cook, stirring often, until the seitan is sizzling hot and the bell peppers are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Place the lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, and/or picante sauce in separate serving bowls.
- Distribute two warmed flour tortillas to everyone.
- To assemble the fajitas, have everyone place a few strips of the seitan and peppers mixtures in the center of their tortillas and garnish them as they wish. Fold one side of the tortilla over the other and pick up to eat out of hand.
- Here are more Southwestern-style vegan meals.