Caponata is a relish-like eggplant salad that's a classic Italian appetizer. Its other characteristic ingredients include fresh tomatoes, celery, and olives. Serve on fresh bread or slices of Italian bread that have been baked until crisp (bruschetta) for a first course before serving a pasta dinner.
Caponata is a relish-like eggplant salad that's a classic Italian appetizer. Its other characteristic ingredients include fresh tomatoes, celery, and olives.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 medium eggplants about ¾ pound each
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 to 3 clove garlic minced
- 2 medium celery stalks diced
- 1 pound ripe juicy tomatoes, finely diced
- ½ cup chopped black or green olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley or basil plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons capers optional
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano optional
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fresh or crisp bread for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the eggplants on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until they collapse, about 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel and chop fine.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and sauté over moderate heat until translucent. Add the garlic and celery and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the eggplant, onion mixture, reserved olive oil, and all the remaining ingredients (except the bread, of course) and stir together.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh herb of choice and serve with slices of fresh or grilled bread.
Calories: 176kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 255mg | Potassium: 676mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 205IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
Per serving: Calories: 89; Total fat: 4g; Protein: 1g; Carbs 11g; Sodium: 110mg
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.
Leave a Reply