These vegan nutty chocolate cookies are made with einkorn flour, which gives them a nice texture and light flavor. Extra-virgin olive oil adds a subtle and seductive charm. See more about einkorn wheat, the oldest form of cultivated wheat which is higher in protein and lower in gluten than today’s highly hybridized wheat. Photos by Evan Atlas.
Einkorn Cocoa Walnut Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the first 6 (dry) ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until completely blended together.
- Make a well in the center and add the applesauce and olive oil. Stir together to form a stiff batter.
- Work in the chopped walnuts.
- With clean, floured hands, form into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and flatten each lightly with your palm.
- If you’d like, press a walnut half into each cookie.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the bottoms are just starting to turn golden. Don’t overbake, as these crisp up a bit as they cool.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then carefully transfer to a plate.
Note: You can substitute spelt flour for the einkorn flour.
- Here are lots more vegan cookies and bars.