You will love this flavorful and hearty From-the-Pantry Pot Pie. Use up whatever ingredients you have on hand to make this simple savory pie in your slow cooker!
This recipe is a great way to use up ingredients that you already have on hand. You can incorporate leftover veggies, sausage, or beans.
How to Make From-the-Pantry Pot Pie
- The night before, cut and prep the ingredients.
- In the morning, oil the slow cooker.
- Add all ingredients but flour and cook 6–8 hours.
- When nearly done, adjust consistency and seasonings.
- Mix together biscuit ingredients to form dough.
- Roll out dough, cut into circles, and place on stew.
- Raise slow cooker heat and cook biscuits until done.
Full directions for how to make From-the-Pantry Pot Pie are in the printable recipe card below.
From-the-Pantry Pot Pie FAQs
Do I have to cook the biscuits with the stew?
You don't have to cook the biscuits with the stew. In fact, you can even bake them on their own.
Even better, you can make this biscuit dough days ahead and freeze them. It will take about 15 more minutes for them to cook from frozen, but you won’t have to bother with making them when you get home. Plus, it never hurts to have ready-to-bake biscuits in the freezer for a last-minute treat!
How long does this stew last?
You can store leftover pot pie in an airtight containter in the fridge for up to 1 week. However, the biscuits will get soggy the longer they sit. I recommend eating them all when you first serve the pot pie, or storing the leftover biscuit topping separately in the fridge.
Here are more vegan slow-cooker recipes.
From-the-Pantry Pot Pie
- 1 small onion minced; optional
- 2 cloves garlic minced; optional
- 1 stalk celery minced; optional
- 1 ½ cups chicken-flavored seitan store-bought or homemade, crumbled or cubed; OR cooked sausage, diced tofu, beans, or diced potato
- 1 lb frozen mixed veggies green beans, corn, carrots, and peas—you can use fresh or leftovers instead
- 1 cup water plus more if needed
- 2 tbsp vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour if needed
- The night before, cut up the onion, garlic, celery, and seitan and store in a large airtight container in the refrigerator.
- In the morning, oil the crock of your slow cooker.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the flour in the slow cooker.
- Cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, adjust the stew's consistency. Add more water if the mixture is too thick, or add the flour if the stew needs to thicken up a bit.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Combine all the biscuit ingredients in a bowl and work until a dough forms.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured cutting board, roll out about ½ inch thick, and cut dough into circles with the rim of a glass.
- Place biscuit dough circles on top of the stew in the slow cooker.
- Turn up the slow cooker to high. Prop open the lid with the handle of a wooden spoon, or place a clean dishtowel under the lid to prevent condensation from dripping onto your biscuits. Cook an additional 30 minutes.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!