This simple and beautiful massaged kale salad provides a gorgeous burst of color for every day or special occasion meals (festive enough to include in a vegetarian/vegan Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner menu). It’s so luscious that I consider this the salad equivalent of candy!
Fruity Kale Salad
This simple and beautiful massaged kale salad provides a gorgeous burst of color for every day or special occasion meals (festive enough to include in a vegetarian/vegan Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner menu).Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 6 to 8
- 1 good-sized bunch kale any variety (10 to 12 leaves or so)
- 1 ½ cups thinly sliced radicchio or red cabbage
- 2 medium bosc pears quartered lengthwise, cored, and sliced
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans or walnuts lightly toasted if desired
- ⅔ cup dried cherries cranberries, or raisins
- ½ cup store-bought fruity vinaigrette pomegranate, raspberry, etc. plus more to pass around
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Strip the kale leaves away from the stems (kitchen shears are good for this). Discard the stems, or slice them very thinly.
- Cut the kale leaves into narrow strips or bite-sized pieces. Rinse well and pat or spin dry. Place in a large bowl.
- With a little olive oil rubbed into your palms, massage the kale for a minute or less, until it becomes bright green and softens a bit.
- Combine the kale with the remaining ingredients in a serving bowl. Toss together well. If time allows, let the salad stand for an hour or so before serving to allow the kale to marinate.
- Pass around extra dressing when serving.
Calories: 182kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 186mg | Potassium: 215mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1696IU | Vitamin C: 27mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Here are more recipes for using pears.
- Explore more of VegKitchen’s Super Savory Salads.
- Return to A Colorful Vegan Christmas (Vegetarians Welcome!)
for a complete listing of holiday dinner recipes, menus, and desserts.
Leave a Reply