Here’s a fresh take on the classic fresh tomato-basil pizza known as Margherita. This vegan variation is packed with extra flavor from garlic and black olives. To heighten the garlic flavor and aroma further, you can sauté the garlic in infused oil as suggested in the recipe. This is a perfect pizza for late summer when tomatoes are at their peak of flavor.
Garlicky Fresh Tomato and Basil Pizza
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or infused garlic oil
- 1 medium onion quartered and thinly sliced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic minced
- One good-quality 12- to 14-ounce pizza crust
- 3 to 4 medium flavorful tomatoes sliced about ¼ inch thick (try a combination of tomatoes, including yellow, red, and heirloom)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced pitted briny black olives such as Kalamata
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dried hot red pepper flakes to taste optional
- ¼ to ½ cup loosely packed sliced fresh basil leaves to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425º F.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté over medium-low heat until golden. Add the garlic and continue to sauté until the onion is lightly browned.
- Place the crust on a pizza stone or baking sheet. Spread evenly with the onion and garlic mixture. Arrange the tomatoes in concentric circles over the surface. Sprinkle the olives over them, followed by pepper and the optional red pepper flakes.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the bottom of the crust is golden. Remove from the oven, then scatter the basil over the surface.Let stand for a minute or two, then cut into 6 wedges and serve.