This easy pasta dish with a very green sauce (made of pureed green peas and broccoli) is great for kids who don’t mind a bit of green on their plate. Simple and tasty, you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it! Photos by Lori Maffei.
4 to 6 moderate servings
- 8 ounces pasta, your choice of shape
(spaghetti, spirals, wagon wheels, small shells, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon vegan buttery spread (such as Earth Balance) or olive oil
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 to 1 ½ cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- A big handful of baby spinach leaves, optional
- ½ cup crumbled soft tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional but highly recommended
- ¼ cup unsweetened rice milk or other nondairy milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Vegan Cashew or Almond Parmesan-Style Cheez, optional
Cook the pasta in plenty of rapidly simmering water until al dente, according to package directions, then drain.
Meanwhile, combine the frozen peas and broccoli florets in a saucepan. Add just enough water to keep the bottom of the pan moist, perhaps ½ inch in depth. Steam over medium heat until the veggies are done but still a bit tender-crisp. Take care not to lose the bright green color!
Combine the peas and broccoli with the remaining sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smoothly pureed.
Pour over the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve at once. Pass around vegan Parmezan-Style Cheez to top individual portions, if desired.
- Make sure to explore more of our recipes and tips for Veg Kids and Teens.
Leave a Reply