This bright green pea and arugula appetizer or sandwich spread will bring springtime to your palate, but it can be enjoyed year-round. Serve as an appetizer with sliced baguette or bruschetta; as a sandwich spread with sliced cucumber and/or radish. Alternatively, you can also use this is a dip for raw vegetables — try a mixture of cauliflower florets, red bell pepper strips, baby carrots, and snap peas. This makes about 2 cups.
Green Pea and Arugula Spread
This bright green pea and arugula appetizer or sandwich spread will bring springtime to your palate, but it can be enjoyed year-round.Print Pin Rate Email
Servings: 8 to 10
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 to 3 big handfuls baby arugula plus more for serving
- ½ cup chopped toasted cashews or almonds
- 1 cup thawed green peas steamed until just done and still bright green
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill plus more for serving
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Slices of baguette or bruschetta
- Baby arugula leaves
- Sliced radishes and/or cucumber
- Small fresh dill sprigs
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Sauté the onion and garlic slowly over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until nicely browned.
- Add the arugula with a splash of water, cover, and steam for just a minute or so, until it wilts.
- Place the toasted nuts of choice in the container of a food processor. Process until ground down to a fine meal.
- Add the onion and arugula mixture along with the remaining ingredients to the food processor. Process until smoothly pureed, scraping down the sides as needed. Add small amounts of water as need be to loosen the mixture.
- Scrape the mixture into a serving bowl. Surround with baguette slices, extra arugula leaves, sliced radishes and/or cucumber, and dill sprigs with which to embellish individual servings.
- Store any unused portion in an airtight container, where it will keep in the refrigerator for several days.
Calories: 82kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 3mg | Potassium: 125mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 159IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 13mg | Iron: 1mg
Vegan-ize any recipe!Grab our free vegan cheat sheet, packed with my favorite easy substitutions to make any recipe vegan.
- Enjoy more vegan snacks and dips.
Leave a Reply