In this recipe, marinara sauce, melted vegan cheese, and simple steamed vegetables on a baked potato add up to an irresistible pizza-flavored vegetable dish. Potatoes make for a healthy "crust" that's low in fat and naturally gluten-free. The kids will love this! Vary the vegetable toppings as you'd like. Try peppers, onions, artichokes, and other favorite pizza veggies. Photo by Rachael Braun.
Healthy Vegetarian Pizza Potatoes
Serves: 4 or more
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli, spinach, or mushrooms, finely chopped and lightly steamed
- 1 cup marinara sauce, or more as needed
- 1–1 ½ cups mozzarella-style nondairy cheese, grated
- dried oregano or basil
- Bake or microwave the potatoes until done. When cool enough to handle, cut each in half lengthwise. Fluff the inside of each potato half with a fork.
- Meanwhile, steam the mushrooms and broccoli in small skillet with a small amount of water until just tender, then drain.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each potato half, followed by 2 to 3 tablespoons grated cheese. Top evenly with the steamed broccoli and mushrooms.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve at once.
Per Serving: 408.2 calories; 21.4g fat; 277mg sodium; 794.3mg potassium; 45g carbs; 7.7g fiber; 1.2g sugar; 8.9g protein
- Here are more easy, tasty potato recipes.