One of my favorites sandwiches is this one, which essentially transforms a garden salad into sandwich filling. Despite its simplicity, this sandwich is really delicious, and the kind of lunch I look forward to all morning. Protein, healthy fats, good carbs, plenty of fiber, antioxidants…it’s all there. I use Ezekiel Breads and English Muffins for these sandwiches, and toast them for the best texture, even if not eating right away. If you’re brown bagging, partially construct as you pack up, and complete your assembly at lunchtime. Otherwise, pile on the ingredients and enjoy immediately. Contributed by Vicki Brett-Gach, from Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen. Photos by Hannah Kaminsky.
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 to 4 tablespoons hummus, prepared or homemade
- 1 to 2 teaspoons yellow mustard (or to taste)
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- ½ small avocado, sliced, and squirted with lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach, romaine lettuce, or other fresh greens
- Kosher salt and coarsely ground pepper, to taste
Toast the bread, and spread both slices with hummus.
Add mustard over hummus, and spread evenly.
Pile on slices of tomato and avocado, sprinkling with salt and pepper, if desired. Add greens and tuck away until lunchtime, or enjoy immediately.
- Here are more Sandwiches and Wraps.