Immune-boosting Spicy Thai Coconut Soup is a super tasty recipe —it's also easy to make, vegan, and gluten-free. For those of you who don’t like spicy, the chillies are optional. When you’re eating the right foods to support your health, food is your medicine. And when it comes to boosting your immune system, nature provides some powerful ingredients to help us fend off those seasonal bugs.
Contributed by Ursula Escher, from The Vegan Survival Guide: Boost Your Mental and Physical Health - Your Guide to Functional Veganism* reprinted with permission © UEscher Publishing.
Spicy Thai Coconut Soup
- 28 ounce coconut milk Two 14-ounce cans lite or full-fat
- 4 cups vegetable broth or one 32-ounce container
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 14- ounc tub extra-firm tofu cubed
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup tomatoes cubed
- 4 Thai chilies or any other spicy chili, chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- Grate lime zest into a small dish and set aside. Be careful not to grate into the white lime pith as this will cause your soup to be bitter.
- Using a medium pot, combine coconut milk, vegetable broth, ginger, lime zest, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on medium for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tofu, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chilies. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add maple syrup, lime juice, salt, and mix well. Add fresh cilantro before serving.
Soy-Free Variation: Omit tofu
Tip: The ginger and lime zest in this recipe gives it an authentic Thai flavor without the difficult to find ingredients!
Nutrition information per serving
Calories: 213; Total fat: 14g; Saturated fat: 0g; Total carbs: 19g; Carbs from fiber: 1g; Sugars: 8g; Protein: 13g
Knowing which ingredients to choose is half the battle when it comes to optimizing your meals. In this Spicy Thai Coconut Soup for example:
- The coconut milk is rich in immune supporting lauric acid.
- The mushrooms are a great source of immune boosting beta glucans.
- The lime juice gives you a healthy dose of vitamin C to keep you going.
*This post contains affiliate links. If the product is purchased by linking through this review, VegKitchen receives a modest commission, which helps maintain our site and helps it to continue growing!
Leave a Reply