I find this simple raw kale and cabbage salad to be positively addictive, and my family seems to, as well! It goes with just about any kind of meal and is good year around. I prefer lacinato in this, but use what you’ve got! Photos by Evan Atlas.
Kale and Cabbage Slaw
- 6 or so large leaves curly green or lacinato kale
- 3 cups thinly shredded green or napa cabbage
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise or as desired
- Juice of 1/2 lemon about 2 tablespoons, or to taste
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper cut into narrow short strips, or 1/2 cup shredded carrots or quartered baby carrots
- 2 to 3 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herb of your choice parsley, dill, or cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Strip the kale leaves off the stems. If you like using the stems, slice them very thin, or discard.
- Slice the kale into narrow ribbons and place in a serving container. Coat your palms lightly with olive oil and massage the kale until it softens and becomes bright green, about 45 seconds.
- Add the sliced stems to the container along with the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve at once.
- Substitute baby carrots, quartered lengthwise (about a dozen) for the bell pepper
- If you’re feeling lazy, substitute pre-cut coleslaw cabbage for the green or napa cabbage
- Here are lots more creative and colorful slaw-style salads.